Research Interests: Physical Oceanography, Dynamics of Two-layer Stratified Flows, Mesoscale Circulation Dynamics, Ecosystem and Biogeochemical Modeling
Academic Staff Roster: https://staffroster.metu.edu.tr/my_staff_roster.php?ssn=NTA4MDY=
- PhD. 1981, Department of Meteorology, University of Reading, UK
- M.Sc. 1977, Physics, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- B.Sc. 1975, Physics, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Prof. Oğuz was the most dedicated and productive Turkish oceanographer of the past 30 years.
- He was one of the pioneers in physical oceanography and was at the frontier of ecosystem modelling, not only in Turkey but also at the international level.
- His research produced fundamental papers on topics such as the circulation dynamics of the Black Sea and Black Sea Ecosystem Dynamics.
- Prof. Oğuz played a most active role in establishing Turkish-American-Russian cooperation in the Black Sea during 1990’s. Directly quoting from Prof. Sergey Konovalov, Director general of Marine Hydrophysical Institute Russian Academy of Sciences, “Temel did help us a lot in our rough 1990’s and he made possible for many people from our institute to remain in oceanography and to become good scientists”.
- Philippart,C., Danovaro, R., Dippner, J., Drinkwater, K., Hawkins, S., Oğuz, T., O'Sullivan, G., Reid, P., 2011. Impacts of climate change on European marine ecosystems: observations, expectations and indicators. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400, 52- 69. doi:10.1016/j.jembe.2011.02.023
- Zhang, J., Gilbert, D., Gooday, A.J., Levin, L., Naqvi, S., Middelburg, J., Scranton, M., Ekau, W., Peña, A., Dewitte, B., Oğuz, T., Monteiro, P., Urban, E., Rabalais, N., Ittekkot, V., Kemp, W., Ulloa, O., Elmgren, R., Escobar-Briones, E., Van der Plas, A., 2010. Natural and human-induced hypoxia and consequences for coastal areas: synthesis and future development. Biogeosciences 7, 1443–1467. doi.org/10.5194/bg-7-1443-2010
- Oğuz, T., Gilbert, D., 2007. Abrupt transitions of the top-down controlled Black Sea pelagic ecosystem during 1960–2000: Evidence for regime-shifts under strong fishery exploitation and nutrient enrichment modulated by climate-induced variations. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers 54, 220-242. doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.2006.09.010
- Beşiktepe, Ş., Sur, H., Emin, Ö., Latif, M.A, Oğuz, T., Ünlüata, Ü., 1994. The circulation and hydrography of the Marmara Sea. Progress in Oceanography 34, 285-334.
- Oğuz, T., Latun, V.S., Latif, M.A., Vladimirov, V.V., Sur, H., Markov, A.A., Özsoy, E., Kotovshchikov, B.B., Eremeev, V.V., Ünlüata, Ü., 1993. Circulation in the surface and intermediate layers of the Black Sea. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers 40, 1597-1612.