Post-Doc: 2012-2014 Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Institute, (IOLR), Haifa-Israel
Ph.D. 2007, Molecular Biology and Genetics Mersin University, Turkey
M.Sc. 1999, Biology Mersin University,. Turkey
B.Sc. 1994, Biology, Atatürk University, Turkey
Population genetics, DNA barcoding, Metagenomics, Metatranscriptomics, Genotoxicology
Evaluating the impacts of catastrophic fresh-water flood events on genetic differentiation, diversity and population structures of Californian and Seattle tunicate populations throughout a period of 12 years and seven sampling sessions.
Employing DNA barcoding as a biodiversity and conservation applied tool for identifying fish fauna from the south-eastern Mediterranean also with an eye to establish the foundation for follow-up studies that will use environmental DNA (eDNA) tracks of native and invasive species, and for the application of eDNA concepts and methodologies in nature conservation.
Distinguish two anchovy species (Engraulis spp.) from the Mersin Bay using geometric morphometrics, fourier analysis of otolith shape, and nuclear-DNA markers.
1) Karahan A., Douek J., Paz G., Stern N., Kideys A.E., Shaish L., Goren M., Rinkevich B. (2017). Employing DNA barcoding as taxonomy and conservation tools for fish species censuses at the southeastern Mediterranean, a hot-spot area for biological invasion. Journal for Nature Conservation. 36, 1–9. doi:10.1016/j.jnc.2017.01.004
2) Karahan A., Douek J, Paz G., Rinkevich B. (2016) Population genetics features for persistent, but transient, Botryllus schlosseri (Urochordata) congregations in a central Californian marina. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2016.05.005
3) Karahan A., Borsa P., Gucu A.C., Kandemir I., Ozkan E., Ak Orek Y., Acan S.C., Koban E., Togan I., (2014) Geometric morphometrics, Fourier analysis of otolith shape, and nuclear-DNA markers distinguish two anchovy species (Engraulis spp.) in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea. Fisheries Research. DOI: 10.1016/j.fishres.2014.05.009.
4) Ergene S., Çavaş T., Çelik A., Köleli N., Kaya F. and Karahan A. (2007) Monitoring of Nuclear Abnormalities in Peripheral Erythrocytes of Three Fish Species From The Goksu Delta (Turkey): Genotoxic Damage in Relation to Water Pollution. Ecotoxicology 16: 385–391.
5) Rad F., Bozaoğlu S., Ergene Gözükara S., Karahan A. and Kurt G. (2006) Effects of different long-day photoperiods on somatic growth and gonadal development in Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.), Aquaculture, 255, 1-4, 292-300.